« Home | Sonnet CXVI Let me not to the marriage of true min... »

Plesides Meteor Shower
Date: August 13, 2006
Time: 12:15-1:00 AM
Place: Home

Sky conditions: Mostly clear; waning Gibbons moon made stars more difficult to see
Planets: Venus
Bright stars noted: Polaris
Area of focus: meteors and possible fireballs
Objects seen: 3 larger and more prominant meteors, one which looked very bright. I thought that it could have been a fireball since it was orange-yellow and very bright. It came from behind our house (S) that faces N. I tried to follow its direction & was able to see another along the same line. The third obvious meteor was W of the other 2 and streaked N before fading. I noted a few other very small meteors that were short-lived yet noticable. I started to get bit so I went inside around 12:45 and continued to watch from the back and front windows. I caught a meteor from the back (the moon was being blocked by trees so it was easier to see).